Pages

Saturday 26 March 2011

What's In A Name?

On Sunday 20th March Moonbeam was baptised, and it got me thinking about how much I liked his name and what a good choice we had made.



I consider myself fortunate in that I like my own name, and I feel that it represents me very well.  I often wonder, however, whether this was a well thought out decision or a happy coincidence.  How much thought do parents generally put into choosing their children's names ?  How did you choose yours?

Unsurprisingly for someone with obsessive/compulsive tendencies I put a great deal of thought into the names I chose for my boys.  I should explain that whilst they go by the names of Star and Moonbeam on here, their real life names couldn't be more different.  I wanted old, traditional names.  Strong names.  Names that would offer gravitas to the professional young men I hope they will become.  Names which, if shortened, were still pleasing, yet befitting of young men whiling away carefree nights at the rugby club.  Names which somehow sounded right together with our surname.  Names that were not too common as to have a class full of namesakes, but nor so unusual as to be teasing fodder at school.

A great deal of thought indeed, but worth it when I see my boys, both now and into their future, and am satisfied that their names will serve them very well.